Welcome has partnered with St. Francis Lutheran to help run their Sunday morning meal and the Senior Center on Wednesdays.
The Sunday Breakfast got its start fifteen years ago when St. Francis began serving coffee to their neighbors who live outside. Soon doughnuts were added to the offering. Over the years it became a full meal. Most of the food is donated so St. Francis keeps its cost low. The meal now feeds between 80 to 130 of their homeless and marginally housed neighbors, including families and children, each week.
The Senior Center draws a dedicated group of seniors who enjoy visiting with each other, sharing lunch, and a game or other activity. There is also a program that varies week by week, including such cool acts as a troupe of women in the 80’s who come and do dance routines, ballroom dancers, and a singer who gives pop quizzes on Judy Garland trivia. The occasional motivational speaker visits as well.
We are delighted, as always, for another opportunity to feed people’s bodies and souls. One of the things we’re trading to St. Francis for the opportunity to work with them is our promise to recruit some additional volunteers.
We have quite a variety of tasks and shifts available:
|Food to Sort|
On Saturday we need folks to:
- Receive food donations from 9:00am - 1:00pm
- Help do prep work for the Sunday morning meal, such as setting up, arranging flowers etc.
- Deliver food to other programs when we have more than we’ll need for Sunday.
On Sunday we need folks to:
- 5:00am - 7:00am: do morning kitchen support such as assisting the cook in preparing the meal for the day, and helping set up dessert trays
- 7:00am - 8:30am: serve coffee to our guests
- 7:00am - 8:30am: serve food to our guests
- 7:00am - 8:30am: do food pantry support such as help give away food pantry items and clothing to guests at the meal
- 8:00am -9:30am: help clean up such as help pick up trash around the neighborhood, do dishes, take out trash, clean toilets
- 9:00am -12:30pm: do guest support such as help support and de-escalate individuals with mental health, addiction, or hunger issues who are interested in attending Sunday morning services
For the Senior Center on Wednesdays we need folks to:
- 10am-2pm: do elder care and nursing support such as helping seniors in need of mobility assistance, answer questions about health questions and providing blood pressure readings for participants
- 10:00am -1:00pm: assist the cook in preparing the meal for the day
- 1:00pm -2:00pm: help pick up trash around the neighborhood, do dishes, take out trash, clean toilets
If any of these tasks sound like something you’re called to, let our Minister of Volunteers, Valerie, know either at 415-673-3572 or firstname.lastname@example.org and she’ll give you all the details and get you scheduled.