According to a December 4, 2011 article in the San Francisco Chronicle, "in the [San Francisco's] public schools, there are 2,200 homeless children, some in shelters, others in cars, or on couches, or in long-term hotel rooms. That's 400 more homeless children than a year ago."
Project Homeless Connect is setting out to fill the need and SF CARES is proud to help with this effort. We hope you’ll join school groups, interfaith groups and others in the backpack drive. We are encouraging folks to hold their own backpack drive and deliver them to us. We are also hosting our own backpack stuffing event at St. Paulus Lutheran Church on July 15th at 1:30 p.m. as well and would love to have you come join us. The backpacks will be distributed at our July 27th Family Connect.
How you can help:
- Purchase one or more backpacks and the supplies needed for one student (we’ll send you the list of supplies after you sign up below)
- Label the back pack with the grade and sex it’s intended for
- Deliver the backpack to Project Homeless Connect or one of our drop off locations around the Bay Area (we’ll send you information about delivery after you sign up below)
- Sign up to help now and we’ll send you supply lists for the grades we still need backpacks for. Click here to sign up.
- Come to the backpack stuffing event on June 15th at 1:30 and help us stuff 150 backpacks. St. Paulus is located at 950 McAllister between Laguna and Webster.
Thank you:Sports Basement for supporting our backpack drive by offering a 10% discount to customers who mention Project Homeless Connect
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to RSVP.